Contact Information

NRTI as we knew it is no more, and I don't know what will happen in the future. Technically, I'm still employed by the College, though am enjoying a paid hiatus, and working on everything I couldn't work on when I was spending 70 hours a week running the Program, like cleaning up from the tornado that hit, what, 7 years ago now? I'm also commissioned with a nearby county agency, actually answering to one of the more popular instructors, so I'm still trying to keep my hand in.

I'll continue to post information and news from grads and friends, and also want to keep current with LE news and references.

My College phone and e-mail are pretty much out of service, so I'll be setting up yet another account , so we can stay in touch.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Ammunition Malfunction Notice Issued

Ammunition Malfunction Notice Issued
From NPS News:
During firearms training at a park on February 8th, a round malfunctioned, resulting in a fragment of the bullet embedding itself in the thumb of the ranger next to the shooter.
The cause of the round fragmenting is uncertain but the incident has been reported to the ammunition company.  The ranger received three stitches in his thumb but is otherwise fine.
The ammunition is Winchester Ranger RA9T 9mm 147 grain T-series, lot number 30EG81. The lot number is ink-stamped on the inside of the right tuck flap on 20-round boxes, and ink stamped on the end of the cardboard cases.

Bill's Note: The search function on the Winchester website wasn't working, so I don't know exactly which load this is.  Details are skimpy, but unless there was a void in the bullet when it was cast or formed I can't imagine why it would go all grenade right at the muzzle, and I have never heard of that happening.  On the other hand, if the pistol unlocked prematurely, a blown case could easily shred and knife into someone else on the line.

Now we'll all have to wear Kevlar thumb cozies.  Even on good days at the range, it's always the thumbs that suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?