Contact Information

NRTI as we knew it is no more, and I don't know what will happen in the future. Technically, I'm still employed by the College, though am enjoying a paid hiatus, and working on everything I couldn't work on when I was spending 70 hours a week running the Program, like cleaning up from the tornado that hit, what, 7 years ago now? I'm also commissioned with a nearby county agency, actually answering to one of the more popular instructors, so I'm still trying to keep my hand in.

I'll continue to post information and news from grads and friends, and also want to keep current with LE news and references.

My College phone and e-mail are pretty much out of service, so I'll be setting up yet another account , so we can stay in touch.

Monday, March 15, 2010

RAP18 Handgun Block

The 6 days of handgun training for the current class has come and gone - everyone did well, and we all left without sucking chest wounds.  This is the first class in memory that didn't break a gun, or an instructor's will to live.

The weather went from this:














To:












And:












Plus these:













Spring peepers may herald better weather, but when a couple thousand are in full bullroar and you are wearing electronically amplified hearing protection, it gets pretty raucous.

A student caught a salamander the size of a saltwater crocodile. 

I experimented with one of these:
RCS Neck/Mercharness Holster
which is essentially a neck holster with a cord rigged to form a shoulder holster.  Even with a flyweight pistol like a P3AT, when worn against the skin it was kind of uncomfortable, with the cord sawing into my armpit.  I'm thinking of sliding a length of fuel line or other flexible hosing over the offending sections of cord.  All in all, I prefer it to having the gun around the neck, where a poor design can lead to a choking hazard and weird draw.  It does need adjustment and experimentation to get it right.